Re: People not understanding the stress and strains of teaching

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 20:37:31 PST

You all seem to be assuming that people in the "real world" go home at 5
and party on till morning. Not that teaching isn't exhausting and totally
involving, but have you ever owned your own business?? Not only do you
work all day, cover for everyone, work late into the night...you don't
necessarily get paid at the end---and sometimes you just pile up debts
that can keep you worrying forever. Have you ever done manual labor for a
whole day?--construction?? Have you tried waiting tables for minimum
wage?? We do work hard, and we have some
great rewards, but remember that other people work really hard also. Show
other people the same respect you want them to show you.
I find that one of the greatest rewards that I get in teaching is the
respect that people have for me when I say I'm a teacher. Sid
# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #