Re: hidden rules of the middle class/urban education

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 07:59:24 PST

interesting article...after working in the inner city of Baltimore for
four years I agree with some of the material...of course this article is
addressing people so there are many things which will not be true to
many people. Discipline is not about change...because they have no
hope, because they focus on the now rather than the future...when they
look at the way they are now...they become depressed.

>>> ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us 11/04/02 10:08AM >>>
Occasionally a thread of discussion is behavior problems etc - I have
tell you - I know what it can be like through limited experience - but
teach in such an unreal environment... what discipline problems do I
have?
"We don't say shut up or stupid to each other"....

but I really liked this issue of ENC focus by the Eisenhower National
Clearinghouse - the focus was on urban education.... the article
about the
'hidden rules of the middle class' was helpful...

so - here is the issue on-line:
http://enc.org/focus/urban/

or more specifically the article:
http://enc.org/focus/urban/document.shtm?input=FOC-002943-index

Understanding and Working with Students and Adults from Poverty by
Ruby
Payne, Baytown, Texas
The hidden rules of the middle class govern schools and work; students
from
generational poverty come with a completely different set of hidden
rules.

Wonderful article for anyone - check out the chart for hidden rules - a
link
through the on-line article...

http://quine.enc.org/web_graphics/documents/FOC/002943/hidden_rules.htm

Ellen