hidden rules of the middle class/urban education

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 07:08:54 PST

Occasionally a thread of discussion is behavior problems etc - I have to
tell you - I know what it can be like through limited experience - but I
teach in such an unreal environment... what discipline problems do I have?
"We don't say shut up or stupid to each other"....

but I really liked this issue of ENC focus by the Eisenhower National
Clearinghouse - the focus was on urban education.... the article about the
'hidden rules of the middle class' was helpful...

so - here is the issue on-line:
http://enc.org/focus/urban/

or more specifically the article:
http://enc.org/focus/urban/document.shtm?input=FOC-002943-index

Understanding and Working with Students and Adults from Poverty by Ruby
Payne, Baytown, Texas
The hidden rules of the middle class govern schools and work; students from
generational poverty come with a completely different set of hidden rules.

Wonderful article for anyone - check out the chart for hidden rules - a link
through the on-line article...

http://quine.enc.org/web_graphics/documents/FOC/002943/hidden_rules.htm

Ellen

---