Re: Visual Literacy

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 06:19:57 PST

Visual Literacy/Visual Culture is inclusive of art but so much more. It
examines how images affect what students buy...dicusses how images
manipulate thought.

How does the image of Andre the Giant add a certain cache to a billboard or
street sign? How do images affect how we think, what we do, and what we
consume. Visual literacy is not as judgmental as art criticism - it is
about how, in this visual culture of ours, images have power.

Christa

---