Re: People not understanding...

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 05:37:38 PST

Many valid ponits are being made about public perception on this thread. I
would suggest getting pro-active about how art is perceived in your
community. Complaining will not get us where we want to be. Good PR,
getting artwork in the community, writing in the paper and in newsletters
will get us the kind of respect we deserve. Behaving in a professional
manner and taking the high moral ground will eventually work.

I write for my local paper -- unpaid. I tell stories that are humorous and
heart-warming about the good things that happen in school. Every school has
hundreds of stories like this that remain untold. We share them here, on
this list, often. The first time I wrote, I thought I would receive comment
from everyone. There was no comment. Now, five years later, people tell
me they "love what I write," or that the "never miss reading my column."
It takes time to "catch on" but the payoff is support in the community.
Administrators support what the public wants. Make yourself an asset.

And, of course, get that student work out there - in banks, libraries,
doctor's offices...
Christa

---