Re: Suggestions for handing behavior problems?

---------

From: Sandy (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 17:23:15 PST

The Austin's wrote:
If you have 7 troublemakers, put them at 7 different tables facing apart,
preferably by some good role models. Next, have you tried "bribing" them? I have
said things along the lines of "what we're learning on this project is important
to know cause you'll need it during the next lesson where we'll do....." The
words clay, painting and masks seem to work well. IF you can get them focused on
their work then you can comment (privately so their co-horts don't overhear)
about how well their project is turning out, and they sure seemed to be
interested in what they were working on. Then, have that student show someone
else that was absent how to do such & such. You might have to work on their
behavior one at a time. Also, if it takes 15 minutes to do the instruction, then
it takes 15 minutes to do the instruction. Don't stress ....
This is what I have done in the past, along with a reward system for an
individual, for example, "most improved" or "best table" working together as a
team. Just hang in there and don't give up...you may be the only one that
doesn't.

Sandy

---