Re: Suggestions for handing behavior problems?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 13:11:04 PST

Assertive discipline is a method for silently reminding students to pipe
down and behave. It's pretty effective with most kids. You will have
to work out the series of consequences before you start this--and make
sure you'll have the admin backup in order to do so.

Step one is to write the student's name on the board as a warning when
they break a rule--you are not supposed to interrupt your lesson, warn
them verbally, or respond to protests. Step two is a checkmark next to
the name the second time a rule is broken. There will be some
relatively minor consequence such as staying in at lunch or whatever
works for you. The third time the rule is broken earns another
checkmark and a more dire consequence (like Susan's cellphone call--now
THAT sounds pretty effective!). Most students will not earn the first
checkmark after their name is written on the board. It stays there 'til
the end of class.

I think we've all seen the kind of class you've got now. Most of the
time it's really just 1-2 kids who seem to have a lot of covert
influence over the others. You usually find out who it is when they are
(finally) absent. I just had one of these in my reading class, and
finally figured out that putting him in the hallway during reading
calmed down the others. He is now being personally tutored by the
counselor, and the rest of the class is sailing right along.

Maggie

Krista Ranly wrote:

> After talking to various teachers on my staff and finding little assistance,
> I am hoping to find someone out there who can provide me with suggestions
> for handling two rough 5th grade classes.

---