Visual Literacy

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 11:57:39 PST

Visual literacy is a system of thought that involves the recognition and
understanding of the things around us and how they work as symbols in
pictures. It's more about the why than the how. The artist's bias -
beliefs, values, knowledge and culture - influence the why and how. Where,
when, why, and by whom the image is created are part of the context, as are
the circumstances of the person viewing the image. Context is important to
learn to read an image.

We are a world, a culture, bombarded by images. Images our our means of
knowing the world and ourselves. On a daily basis we are flooded with images
that influence what we think and how we live. Seldom is thought given to how
and why those images influence us. Visual literacy is about seeing rather
than looking.

Just my thought
Patty

---