Re: Behavior Prob?Get out your Cell Phone!

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 09:34:05 PST

Susan- that is hilarious, though I did the same thing once. Luckily, I had the student in the hallway by my door because he began yelling at his mother loudly on the phone. The other students heard a little and were shocked at him more than the fact that I pulled out the cell phone. After that, the pressure of his peers to behave was stronger because the other students realized how irrational he was and provided better models for him instead of laughing at his antics.
Jancy
 ARTNSOUL12@aol.com wrote:Judy S. has excellent suggestions! I just want to add that one of the most effective methods I have used is this: Little Johnny is acting out, continuing to be disruptive and interfers with the learning of the other children. I say, " Johnny, if you choose to continue, I will choose to call home." Sweet little Johnny continues. I whip out my file with all my students phone # and my trusty cell phone. The whole class becomes silent and good as gold. I proceed to dial while little Johnny is frozen in disbelief. He protests, "But, you didn't say you are calling NOW!" "Hello, Mrs. Smith, I have Johnny here in art class (I really want to say I have your little brat, but) I continue in a sweet voice, "He's being disruptive (or explain exactly whatever he's been doing) and needs to talk to you to about it ." At this point I hand the pho! ne over to her little cutie. Now, if the parent isn't home I leave a message as to why I am calling and state !
that I will call back. I do not do this very often- only is dire circumstances- infact, only twice in the last three years, but it's very effective- the kids say..."Ooooh, noooo, not the cell phone!" LOL....
Susan on Long Island