Re: Visual literacy

---------

Wizzlewolf_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 09:27:57 PST

In a message dated 11/3/02 10:53:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
suwanneecrew@yahoo.com writes:

> Because we teach it, it is our "job" point of view for
> this discussion. Art is the whole world for the artist
> side of us.

I wasn't talking about US. I was talking about trying to help others (non art
people) to understand the importance of arts in the overall curriculum and
being a part of everyone's life. In a time when the footing of the arts is
very fragile, it is important to point out the universal issues that are
helped and supported by arts education. If visual literacy is one of the
selling points, it is important to point out its value in a way that a
non-artist can relate.
I think that is one of the dilemmas of this misunderstanding. Those of us who
have an "artists side" and point of view, get frustrated because others just
don't understand why we see things this way. Of course, that perception is
natural and easy for us. It is our job to try to interpret that sense of
passion and why it is important to all whether they are an artist or not.
However when doing so, it is important to speak a language that is
understandable to the arts "naysayer" and state things in a way that doesn't
sound self serving.
wizzle

Sheree Rensel
BFA, MFA, NBCT