Re: Suggestions for handing behavior problems?

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 06:24:50 PST

Hi Krista, I also use an incentive of art dollars. They need to save four to
go to the prize bucket. Another big help, is that we use mega skills at our
school. (truth, trust, active listening, etc.) So my third through 6th graders
have a sheet that they bring to class with these attributes. I start right out
saying that I would like to give "O;s" for outstanding behavior . For some
kids, this will be their only O for the week. By the same token, they can get
an N ( for needs improvement on the skill) I try not to give "N's", but for the
good kid who feels like goofing around for the day, it is very effective and
needs to only happen once. The sheets go home every Fri and are returned every
Mon. signed by the parent. This keeps all " Stakeholders" informed. I can
usually give O's to ninty nine percent of the class.
If someone was a twit that day, I try not to give an N, but rather I do not
give them an O. Having said all of this,,,,, I would like to add that I will
right up a discipline slip and remove a student who perpetually keeps the rest
of the class from learning. Although this is rare,
I have no qualms about this, as I feel very strongly that these kids will never
get the help they need if I let them continue to severly disrupt the
classroom.If your administration never has to deal with your disruptive
students, It is much easier on them, but does not serve the student's needs.
It is simply not fair to the other students to take their instructional time
away to deal with a student (students) who has issues that cannot be addressed
in the 50 min that I have them.
Sorry this was so long. Just my two cents.
Betsy

Krista Ranly wrote:

> ... I
> refuse to kick them out of class (they'll never learn that way), and I can't
> make them do art during recess because they're already serving time for her.

---