Re: People not understanding...

---------

arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 21:48:47 PST

Dennis, I could not agree more. The public school classroom is a "foxhole"
in and of itself. Some of these primadonas need to step into some reality
before they set a state or local budget for schools and decide how much pay
a teacher is worth! My husband is an Electrical Engineer and makes a great
salary and he could not tolerate the Junior High or High School classroom,
and yet I get paid of fraction of what he receives for a days work. How
"screwed-up" is this society? Most people that I know would not dare
teach!!! They know the abuse that we take and they think that they are
above such torment. We pay a Doctor a fortune to "PRACTICE" on our bodies,
and yet parents expect us to "straighten-out" their children for them by
teaching them in school for a small sum of money. This is senseless! If I
did not love the kids, then I would not be in the classroom. Being with
the kids is my therapy. Yet, I would have to struggle to live if I didn't
have a husband to help support me. Too much is expected of teachers for
such a small paycheck. I wish that our society would help its teachers
and give teachers some credit and realize the worth of the school teacher.
I have to laugh when I think that we get a $200.000/year write-off for what
we spend of our personal income on our classrooms, and I spent at least a
thousand dollars and more a year. They have no idea what is real and what
is fantasy!

Idus in Picayune