Re: Suggestions for handing behavior problems?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 16:05:54 PST

My 8th grade is like this and has been since 1st grade - some groups just
don't do well together). Do you have a seating arrangement? If you have 7
troublemakers, put them at 7 different tables facing apart, preferably by
some good role models. Next, have you tried "bribing" them? I have said
things along the lines of "what we're learning on this project is important
to know cause you'll need it during the next lesson where we'll do....." The
words clay, painting and masks seem to work well. IF you can get them
focused on their work then you can comment (privately so their co-horts
don't overhear) about how well their project is turning out, and they sure
seemed to be interested in what they were working on. Then, have that
student show someone else that was absent how to do such & such. You might
have to work on their behavior one at a time. Also, if it takes 15 minutes
to do the instruction, then it takes 15 minutes to do the instruction. Don't
stress about keeping your classes together if this class can't handle it.
Good luck!
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>An introduction or
> demonstration that takes 5 minutes with other classes takes about 15
minutes
> with this class because they are so busy arguing, talking over me,
insisting
> that art is "dumb"...The homeroom teacher disciplines these students by
> making them sit alone in the hall, making them stay in for recess, etc. I
> refuse to kick them out of class (they'll never learn that way), and I
can't
> make them do art during recess because they're already serving time for
her.
> And, there are many good students in the class that really do
try...there
> are 7 boys in the class who make the situation miserable for everyone in
the
> class and all the teachers they come in contact with.

---