Re: Suggestions for handing behavior problems?

---------

Gldpawz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 15:18:17 PST

In a message dated 11/02/02 5:48:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
krista_art@hotmail.com writes:

> Right now I'm looking
> for a way to successfully use positive reinforcement

Hi Krista~
This is what I do with some difficult classes (k-5) and I have three 5th
grade classes that are no fun but there are quite a few students who want to
learn and behave.I will try to explain it the best I can. I have a lottery
system and hand out "tickets" (colored paper squares) to the students that I
see that are being good. I hand them out during the lesson I teach,
especially at the beginning of class when I want them to settle down. I'll
say something like "James, you look very ready for art today. Here's a
ticket" or "Nicole, I like the way you are waiting for directions" (and I
will pass out a ticket) You know, that sort of thing.
They write their name on the ticket and put it in a basket on my desk. At the
end of class I will pull a winning name out of the basket and they get to
pick a treat out of a prize box. I have snack size bags of cookies, crackers,
candy, stickers, fancy pencils, etc. They know that the more tickets they
earn the better their chances are of winning. The troublemakers will try to
be good to earn a ticket. (most of the time) Sometimes I will pull a 2nd name
for "good luck' I also have the class clap for the winner and since they
are being so "polite" I will pull another name. I don't know how many times a
week you see your rough class but I only see mine once a week. If you see
them every day then you could pick a winner on Friday and they can earn the
tickets each day in art.
I like this method because I am recognizing the good kids who so often get
neglected because I used to spend all my time nagging the troublemakers.
Email me if you have any more questions and good luck. It is not easy.

Take care,
Carolyn in MA

---