Suggestions for handing behavior problems?

---------

From: Krista Ranly (krista_art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 14:47:38 PST

After talking to various teachers on my staff and finding little assistance,
I am hoping to find someone out there who can provide me with suggestions
for handling two rough 5th grade classes. At my school, the 5th grade has
been known as "the bad class" since they were kinders. And for some crazy
reason, the principal decided this year that he'd put all of the students
with behavior problems in one class. So, I have 4 wonderful classes and one
that I have found nearly impossible to teach. An introduction or
demonstration that takes 5 minutes with other classes takes about 15 minutes
with this class because they are so busy arguing, talking over me, insisting
that art is "dumb"...The homeroom teacher disciplines these students by
making them sit alone in the hall, making them stay in for recess, etc. I
refuse to kick them out of class (they'll never learn that way), and I can't
make them do art during recess because they're already serving time for her.
  And, there are many good students in the class that really do try...there
are 7 boys in the class who make the situation miserable for everyone in the
class and all the teachers they come in contact with. Not even the
principal has a solution. I'm hoping someone has dealt with a similar
situation and/or has advice for handling this class. Right now I'm looking
for a way to successfully use positive reinforcement...afterall, I think
these trouble students thrive on punishment and the attention it draws to
them. Thanks for listening and for any advice you may have to offer.

Krista in OH