Would I be out of line

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 13:37:48 PST

Our art teacher asked me to sit in on a class. I did, and the principal
showed up for a walk through. The art teacher was embarrassed, I think.
Actually, knowing our principal it earned her points for asking for
help.

The art teacher is mad at 5th grade because we told her to beep the
office rather than sending a child for us. We are rarely in our rooms,
during our conference times and the students she was sending are not
dependable (one of them is actually very disturbed and could have easily
left campus). The office will always try to call us for her, or send
someone down to remove the child. It is not that we are unwilling to
come to get a child, it is a safety issue. If I'm in a meeting in the
principal's office, or conference room, there is no way the student is
going to find me by themselves. Sometimes I also have off campus meeting
at nearby schools

I'm going to suggest that she:
1. use some type of visual or verbal cue besides "be quiet" to get their
attention.

2.Move some students around

3. Not punish the whole group for the behavior of 3 boys (my class is
not allowed to use anything but crayons because crayons were thrown, but
everybody including the 3 boys and the teacher agree it was them. The
boys are enjoying the power of everyone waiting for them to behave)

4. That she call the parents herself, not ask us to do it. My parents
have already said you weren't there I want to talk to the teacher who
was. (My kids will get in trouble with their parents)

5. that she work with the behavior plan I have for one child who was
abused. The plan is just a classroom plan, not an official one with a
"yellow" folder. Still it works, and this child is struggling to respond
positively instead of with violence.

6. That she continually push the idea that it is ok to make mistakes in
art, that self expression has no right or wrong. My G&T kids want to be
perfect, and that is the root cause of their discomfort with art.

I am going to:
1. Make sure she knows were I am so she can have the office beep me if
there is trouble.

2. Keep encouraging the students to express themselves with art

3. Let her know what we are studying in the classroom so she can make
connections. (she has asked for that information)

4. Take 5th grade to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

5. I will work on their perfectionism.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert

---