clay leaf bowls

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 10:27:57 PST

I saw an article in Arts and Activities about doing clay bowls and
tried it with my third graders. We used slabs, pressed a real leaf into
the clay, cut around with a tool (craft stick or nail!) and then lifted
the whole leaf and pressed it into a styrofoam bowl. They pressed it in
gently and then peeled the leaf off. I let them dry overnight and then
took them out of the bowl. They turned out so great. Now my question is-
they have been fired and await the glaze. In the article the teacher
used two colors -one right over the veins. Has anyone done this? Is it
ok to use two glazes at once? Let one dry and then go over the first ?
Or do both at the same time? They look so good now I don't want to have
the glaze turn out bad. Thanks,
                       Jeryl in SC

---