Re: People not understanding...

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust606_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 14:41:36 PST

Jane,
I do have something refreshingly different to report. For the first time in my
ten years of teaching I have an assistant principal who totally supports the
art program. He completely gets the fact that we have different challenges in
the art room than other subjects do. He finds money for us, when there is
none. He is also very knowledgeable about art history and uses it in his
lessons. And the best part? Sometimes if we are doing a particular project, he
will come in and sit with the class to learn how to use the materials as well
(especially if it is watercolor). Would he elect to take an art course? I
believe he certainly would, without hesitation.
As a side note, I work for the NY city school system too. If this could help
you in anyway with your doctorate, email me privately and we'll talk.
Michele

ejb35@columbia.edu wrote:

> Some of you may know that I have been making notes about
> impediments to good art education as part of my doctoral paper
> research on censorship in the art room.

> Principals, superintendents, guidance counselors (who counsel
> bright kids out of art and put troubled kids in for "therapy") all
> of those decision makers need to have at least one art course as
> they go for masters and doctorates in administration and
> supervision. But this is not required (in programs I know), and I
> don't know how many would elect an art course. Anyone have anything
> different to report? Jane in Brooklyn

---