Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: black on black pottery

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 14:21:42 PST

        It was most likely a Navajo potter. They use sap as a finish
on their pottery. I missed the Haskell Indian Market this year.
That saved me some money. We have a Navajo pot by Betty Manygoats.
You could do a search for Manygoats and see what you find.

        I'll not miss Haskell next year, Woody in KC

jtowle wrote:
> one of my shift keys is boken, so pardon the lack of caps....;)
> I attended the annual native american arts show and exhibition at haskell
> indian nations university in lawrence, ks a few weeks ago.
> one however sticks out in my potter used TREE SAP on the
> outside of the raw pot and then, i think, fired electrically. The pots
> looked like beautiful dark wood. has anyone heard of this technique? I'd
> love to try it. how do you harvest tree sap?
> jennifer in ks

This one soars:
Fantastic Triplet Grandkids: