Re: People not understanding...

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 12:26:57 PST

One impediment that I have taken notice on is art teachers themselves
(how ironic). Thankfully, in our area, there are not many of these
types of art teachers, yet they still exist. One type is the "old
school" teacher (as i have dubbed them). They like to make crafty type
projects which are cute but have little to do with actual learning of
art. The only thing the students learn in those situations is how to
handle some types of materials (which could be easily done in the
regular classrooom). Principals are quick to point that out, by the
way! I have seen some art teachers who are great artists, but not great
teachers. I call them the "i couldn't make it in the art field so i
guess i'll teach to support my art habit" (mind you they are nice
people) until, that is, they get into the classroom...they hate kids and
the kids know it right away!
I came into an art program that was given only $200 for 600 kids! The
art teacher complained to me that she used to get $1000 her first year
and it went down every year. When talking with the staff I found out
that the kids hated art and that she was cruel to the kids. She seemed
nice to me and then I figured it out. She hated kids.

>>> ejb35@columbia.edu 11/01/02 12:30PM >>>
Some of you may know that I have been making notes about
impediments to good art education as part of my doctoral paper
research on censorship in the art room.
One of theimpediments is that the administrators generally have not
had even one course in studio art or art education methods or
theory. Until they try to handle and control materials AND make
something personally meaningful, good looking, and meeting the
standards they can't know the challenges and intellectual scope of
art education.
Principals, superintendents, guidance counselors (who counsel
bright kids out of art and put troubled kids in for "therapy") all
of those decision makers need to have at least one art course as
they go for masters and doctorates in administration and
supervision. But this is not required (in programs I know), and I
don't know how many would elect an art course. Anyone have anything
different to report? Jane in Brooklyn

---
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu
---