re: black on black pottery

---------

From: jtowle (thetowles_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 08:11:30 PST

one of my shift keys is boken, so pardon the lack of caps....;)

I attended the annual native american arts show and exhibition at haskell
indian nations university in lawrence, ks a few weeks ago. Fabulous.
Seemed like a couple hundred native american artisans...potters,
silversmiths mostly. i asked all the potters about their secrets...most
all of them dig their own clay from the sacred family 'veins', process it
manually then pit fire the ware.

one however sticks out in my mind...one potter used TREE SAP on the
outside of the raw pot and then, i think, fired electrically. The pots
looked like beautiful dark wood. has anyone heard of this technique? I'd
love to try it. how do you harvest tree sap?

jennifer in ks

---