Re: Inventions that changed "art"-- Help

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 05:16:56 PST

>From: Amenay2@aol.com
>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 05:00:45 EST
>Photography...the camera.

this is a biggy actually.

Though used as a tool by a good number of portrait artists in the 1800's,
(perhaps not seeing what was coming)...eventually the camera allowed more
than aristocrats, politicians, and prominent wealthy people to produce their
image to say "I lived....I was here" It slowly uprooted the need for
painters to be sought out.

Even landscape painters eventually would not need to be sought out...as was
Thomas Moran in making his enormous contributions that convinced Congress to
make the national parks...park, because pictures could be produced.

It affected the potential for a portrait painter to make an affluent
living...yet did not take away an artist's need to be creative and
expressive. This naturally gave way to explore other art philosophical
ideas in a race with mortal time to make one's place and mark in the world.

The photograph when used with intention is an art form in itself, but
primarily as a tool and invention it slowly brought to an end the need and
place of master artists by "trade." Artists would instead have to learn to
entertain us....and have been pursuing that end ever since.

Larry

---