Re: Plaster gauze masks--in progress!

---------

From: Judie Jacobs (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 23:54:58 PST

Sharon, the masks look great so far. You've gotten much more detail
than I have when I've done this. What did you prep their faces with?
Vaseoline? I have stayed away from that due to a horror story I heard
once about the "suction' the vaseoline makes when trying to remove the
mask, and popping a blood vessel in the eye. I used a damp paper towel,
which resulted in less distinct features. Now, I'm thinking I should
revisit the vaseoline--any ideas? Also, another teacher had the
students press clay into the back of the plaster mask mold once it
hardened, and got some fabulous impressions in clay.

As far as the hands go, we plastered only the top of the hand, then
pressed clay into that mold once removed from the hand--we learned the
hard way too, not to plaster around the entire hand.

Can't wait to see the end results.

Judie
On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 09:39 PM, <sharon@art-rageous.net>
wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I asked for suggestions re: how to best mount
> plaster gauze masks onto boards.  Thanks again for the suggestions, and
> please take a look at what these awesome kids are coming up with for
> this project!
>
> http://www.art-rageous.net/Self-ExpressiveMasks.html
>
> They are SO enthused about this--sketching, planning, and coming in
> after school to work.  They're foraging around the room, gathering an
> incredible assortment of materials (including wire) that are up for
> grabs for this project, and grappling with issues such as balance,
> proportion and so much more. Ditto what Woody said earlier about the
> creative problem solving that occurs in art!!
>
> I can't wait to see some of their finished masks because some of their
> ideas (even some masks not pictured yet) have just amazed me.
>
> Best news is that no one had any problem as a result of the plaster
> being on their face.  Worst news is what will go down as one of my
> biggest "duh" maneuvers since I've been teaching at this school:
>
> Some kids wanted to make hands to go along with their faces.  Cool
> idea, right?  And I DID this before a couple of years ago.  For
> WHATEVER the reason, it didn't even cross my mind to remember that you
> can't wrap the entire hand and fingers with plaster gauze.....  While
> not as thick as a traditional cast for a broken wrist, they were almost
> as impossible to get off!
>
> The kids had helped each other do this, and they were on so well that
> it was really difficult (and scary) to try to stick scissors into the
> wrist area to cut the darn things off.  Bell rang and I still had 4 in
> casts.  They were late for their next classes, one missed a test, and
> other teachers were less than pleased..... OH WELL!  It was a pretty
> effective learning experience for all of us, and now we better know how
> to do (and how NOT to do) hands!
>
> I'll post again when I put up the finished masks.  :-)
>
> Sharon
> email: sharon@art-rageous.net
> website: http://www.art-rageous.net
> ---