Re: sculpture ideas

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 17:46:39 PST

I just made a cardboard sculpture with a class of second graders. It was a
cooperation sculpture. Everyone painted a big (most of the shapes were cut
from 18"x15" pieces) flat cardboard shape (triangle/ rectangle/ square.)
  We painted one side with a primary color, then mixed a secondary for the
other side, then mixed tints to paint little shapes on the primary side and
mixed shades to paint shapes on the secondary side. Anyway, when the pieces
were all painted and dry, we snipped a couple of 3 inch slits into opposite
sides of each shape. Partners had to put their two pieces together by sliding
the slits together and then we started sticking the pairs of pieces into a big
sculpture. It was tricky to get it all to stand up and grow taller as we went,
but I had some second grade engineers and it eventually stood and balanced.
When we talked about the sculpture, students said it looked like a theme
park-- if they were tiny they could climb it. Some saw butterflies or animal
ears and some said it was a castle. they noticed the negative shapes between
the pieces. They thought it was beautiful. That was the best "art talk" I
have heard from them. After class was over, I went in with some hot glue at
the connection points so it would stay together when I moved it to put it on
display.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>I need some sculpture ideas for children grade one through five. Mostly
>using "found" materials, junk, and common supplies. Or wacky supplies are ok
>too! Any scupture ideas!

---