RE: Constructivism in Education

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 16:16:37 PST

As with anything, there are different 'depths' of constructivism - my ideal
classroom would be a true constuctivist classroom, but unfortunately the
kids that come aren't 'my' kids and can you imagine the transition from a
traditional (sage on stage) class to a constructivist classroom?

On the other hand, a little control isn't a bad thing - at least for
organizational purposes... and I lean more towards guided (loosely) inquiry.
Our study group/book club focused on constructivism a couple of years ago -
and we studied it in depth in a math class I was in - it is also interesting
to find some writings on the 'cons' of anything you are looking into - one
of my favorites on constructivism was some education guru blasting it -
something along the lines how inappropriate or undesirable - and all I could
think of was how lucky he was to be able to 'construct' his own
understanding and opinion....

Ellen

---