Re: Acrylic

---------

From: Susan Bennett (sbennett_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 15:45:24 PST

Steve,
I use acrylic quite often with my fifth graders. I have used on primed wood
surfaces for large murals. I have also used on tag boards with various
subjects . This year I sued them with a monoprint lesson. It dried slowere
than tempera, but nicer than printers ink. I have found when the students
first start with acrylic over tempera, they have a bit of trouble blending.
It will also shrink back some and they may leave choppy white areas. I have
school grade acrylic which is thick like tube acrylic. I will often dilute
it a bit to give a thinner consistancy . Not thin just thinned some.. Of
course if I am counting on textrue I do not thin it. Clothing has been
damaged! I have also had success doing very decorative/ crafty things with
acrylic on tin, followed by acrylic polymer. Made outdoor quality small
sculptures. Have also sued acrylic on Paper mache and clay. Susan in Ohio