Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Constructivism in Education

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 03:15:25 PST

Oh I do love it when I am right....Constructivism is enganged learning --
student centered learning -- problem solving -- all immediately came to
mind -- but I wanted to verify --- see below.

This is my favorite -- (tee-hee.there is no definition)
Constructivist learning is based on students' active participation in
problem-solving and critical thinking regarding a learning activity which
they find relevant and engaging. They are "constructing" their own
knowledge by testing ideas and approaches based on their prior knowledge
and experience, applying these to a new situation, and integrating the new
knowledge gained with pre-existing intellectual constructs.