ArtWORKS Coordinator , Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma, WA
The qualified candidate for this position must posses a compatible commitment
to innovation, vision and commitment evidenced by the Museum’s creative
artistic and educational programming.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Coordinates and implements educational programs in the
Museum's interactive art making gallery, ArtWORKS, in collaboration with the
Curator of Education and other education staff members.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
1) Develops curriculum and provides art instruction for tour groups of all
2) Participates in the training of docents.
3) Coordinate scheduling of tours as well as docents.
4) Assists in organizing and implementing Teacher Night and other teacher
5) Creates and installs ArtWORKS interactive studio space in collaboration
with education team.
6) Research and develop exhibitions in ArtWORKS gallery space with education
7) Supervise installation (schedule, gallery preparation, etc.) of ArtWORKS
8) Oversees the ordering and maintenance of ArtWORKS supplies and storage.
9) Contributes to archives for education funding and grant support.
10) Represents Museum at educational and cultural meetings as directed by the
Curator of Education.
11) Supervise and train workstudy students and interns.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1) Proven track record in museum or art education. Must be able to
communicate effectively, coach, motivate, mentor and train staff.
2) Ability to manage individuals and teams in a dynamic work environment.
3) Requires a high degree of interpersonal and communication skills;
individual must be personable and diplomatic in working with diverse
4) Ability to work well with staff, artists, schools and the general public
to promote the
philosophy and goals of the Education Department and the Tacoma Art Museum as
5) Excellent communication and organizational skills.
6) The ability to use a broad scope of teaching approaches to meet the needs
of the wide range of visitors served by the Museum.
7) An understanding of art, the relationship of art to educational
programming, and a variety of media, materials, techniques, and methods.
8) Ability to work in a team planning and administrative setting.
9) Knowledge of interdisciplinary and interactive education methods.
10) Knowledge of computer word processing.
Bachelor's in Art or Art Education. Minimum of three years experience
teaching art in museum, school, or community setting. Experience working with
students of all ages and the general public to facilitate their learning of
art related concepts and practices.
Tacoma Art Museum
1123 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98402