Re: Kilns...

---------

From: Laura Carey (carey_l_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 06:24:57 PST

A friend of mine has a Martha Stewart magazine for this month that show
painting reall eggs with a sizing and then sprinkling mica powder over
it...we could not figure out exactly what it was that they were talking
about...was not listed in shopping or resources...My only recolection of
mica was from classes on ceramics...
but wasn't sure if this was the same thing.
Thanks. I think we will maybe try with metalic paints or Pearl-ex...
Laura

Rebecca Stone-Danahy wrote:

> Mica powder would be a derivative from the mica rock which is actually
> a form of quartz. That would make the powder a silica base and would
> be very hard on your lungs if breathed in without protection. There
> is a disease called silicosis which can result from prolonged exposure
> to the dust and is much like the disease caused by exposure to
> asbestos.
>
> What are you using the mica powder for?
>
> Becky in NC

---