american artists, additions to compiled list

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 21:09:44 PST

 These are submissions by friends on the ArtsEdNet List. Please add them to
your American artists cmpiled lists...these have either websties or lesson
plan ideas. I have not verified them in any way, except to share them with
you.

===============
Britto, Romero?
Vivian V Moreira Komando <komandov@yahoo.com
http://www.artmode.com/Britto/britto.html
http://www.theoctobergallery.com/pr-britto.htm
http://americanartco.com/artist_full.cfm?aid=40
http://www.cowparadenewyork.com/artist/detail/101

Stuart Davis [American Abstract Painter, C.1894-1964] Self-Portrait
Web Museum - Stuart Davis
Sheldon Memorial Collection - Stuart Davis
Mark Harden's Artchive- Stuart Davis
Walker Art Center Interview with Stuart Davis
Jazz- Swing Era Art Gallery (University of Virginia)
Stuart Davis - Links to online images

Harnett, William M.
San D kprs@cybernex.net
I don't look like I would like his work, I guess, but give me a painting of
dead rabbits, or any of his other vanitas and I am a happy camper!Students
respond well to the superrealism of his work, and are intrigued, as I am to
the subject matter he chooses to put in his still life(s).

LaDuke, Betty?
http://bettyladuke.com/
http://libweb.sonoma.edu/special/waa/laduke/
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/acres/4986/camart.htm

Jacob Lawrence
Lawrence
My students are working on compositions originally inspired by Jacob
Lawrence and Stuart Davis...As they are working on them, I can see Stuart
Davis.... SO... I looked for images of Stuart Davis's work today to show my
kiddies on Monday.

Roy Lichetenstein
Lichetenstein
Cartoon Picture Lesson Plan based on Roy Lichtenstein and Pop Art.
I like to do a unit on Roy Lichtenstein and his Pop Art comic book paintings
in High School Art 1. I have some art posters of his paintings: "Blam" and
"I Don't Care". I also have magazine pictures which I've collected on his
artwork over the years. Gets me into this whole thing about the comic book
industry, Pop Art, the 1960's, heros and heroines, the use of humor in art
and other subjects.
    The classes really seem to like the assignment and I've done it for
several years now. Sometimes the kids will turn in two pieces even when only
one was required. It basically is an enlargement of a section of a comic
book frame which students bring in. They use a viewfinder to enlarge a
section on a simple grid and have to modify it according to some parameters
which I discuss with the class. It's done in black sharpie pens and colored
pencils.
    True, a lot of art teachers stay away from comic book images which kids
are really drawn to as an age group. But I put it in the context of the Pop
Art Movement of the 1960's and the kids really seem to pay attention to it.
Dennis in Stockton, Cali. I show posters and pictures of Lichtensteins large
paintings of comic book images: the parodies of war comics and of teen
romance comics of the 1960's. Then each student has to bring in a comic book
or a section from the Sunday comic book section of the newspaper. They
choose their favorite comic character. We make a viewfinder out of paper
which measures 2" X 2" and they frame the image they are going to enlarge
onto a piece of drawing paper measuring 12" X 12". I usually have students
draw a light grid on their paper, dividing their picture into fourths or
even more divisions. They draw the image they've framed in the viewfinder.
That is, they copy it on a grid. I talk about zooming in on an image, a face
for instance, for dramatic effect. I give them some parameters about how
they have to change the image and not copy it exactly. That usually involves
changing colors, facial expressions, etc, they have to come up with five
changes. There has to be type or words in the image. Then they just use
black marker pens to emphasize the lines the way they are in comic books and
we color with colored pencils, Crayola or Prismacolors. I guess that the
popularity comes from the fact that a lot of teenagers like comic books and
images of super heros, alien creatures and all the Japanimation stuff that's
out there. It becomes a sort of badge of pride to be able to duplicate and
render these characters. I take comfort in the fact that they are staying
busy and out of trouble, and are increasing their drawing skills. I remember
when I was a teenager I used to love to copy comic book characters and
filled my notebooks with them.
Dennis in Stockton, CA
Daceballos@aol.com

Roy Lichtenstein. The students look for a cell from their favorite comic
from the Sunday funnies and enlarge it to fit on a 18" x 24" sheet. This
project is at the end of a color unit so they have to choose a color scheme
in which to paint(temepera) the enlarged image such as triadic, analogous,
complementary, slit-complementary, etc. They then use the tints and shades
of this color scheme to paint their image. I request that they use
different colors than those on the original. I have them remove any text
bubbles and this seems to help with the humor of the image, depending on the
comic. This has caught on with my classes and it also contains math
components with the proportional enlargement of the comic.

Georgia OšKeeffe - She loved to roller-skate in an old school gym near her
place in the southwest and when she got too old to skate herself, her
assistant would carry her on his back and roller skate her around the gym
(according to sculptor, Jesus Bautista Morales).

Bunki Kramer (bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us)
Tidbit from Jesus Bautiste Morales (an interesting sculptural artist in his
own right) who knew her. She loved to rollerskate in an old school gym near
her place in the southwest and when she got too old to skate herself, her
assistant would carry her on his back and roller skate her around the gym.
Interesting visual.

Iteachart7@aol.com Gabrielle
The gym was turned into a Gallery, but they still roller skate! I saw this
two summers ago when we went to Santa Fe with Nancy Walker. Toured Georgia's
house and studio too!

Lin lin@altmanink.com
Georgia O'Keefe is a favorite. I bring three cow skulls and fourth grade
draws them using pastels. They always turn out great!

Andy Warhol (Know the Artist" Andy Warhol EMS student page)
whest177@wheatstate.com Michal
Warhol was such a "shop-a-holic" that after his death his apartment was
found filled to the brim with expensive purchases still in their store bags.

James Whistler
whest177@wheatstate.com~Michal
Whistler's famous painting "Whistler's Mother" (I know, it's called
something else but I am drawing a complete blank!) had been commissioned to
paint a spoiled little girl. The little girl was so horrible to Whistler
that in a rage he pulled the canvas off the frame and restretched the canvas
with the little girl's portrait facing the wall. He then whipped out his
famous painting and informed the irate parents he would not finish the
portrait. He supposedly found much satisfaction from the fact that she would
face eternity facing the wall.

Grant Wood
American Gothic A must see site - Sculptural take-offs on the famous work by
Grant Wood - "American Gothic"
"American Gothic"
PicasoLovr@aol.com
on my bulletin board and many children in different grades in elementary
school query me as to why they always see that picture in cartoons and
commercials? Why is it so famous? This is certainly a point to cover:
American Regionalists and also good to teach them self portraits and
portrait
subtle shading. Its certainly different in comparison to a Van Gogh portrait
or a Matisse portrait of his wife in half green tones and half red tones.

Jamie Wyeth [American Contemporary Realist Painter, Born 1946]
a favorite of mine b/c he paints scenes from my adolescence. Andrew is (or
has been) the highest paid living American artist. He won a Congressional
medal back in the 60s or 70s. His father, NC Wyeth was known as an
illustrator of children's books. His son, Jamie, is an outstanding painter
as well. When Jamie was 16, he ran around the community driving a red
Corvette convertible, and we all thought he was something! Andrew once said
that someday he would be known as "Jamie Wyeth's father." Nicholas is
another son, but as far as I know, is not an artist. Carolyn Wyeth, Andrew's
sister is also a painter. Peter Hurd, I think, is part of the family, too.
The Brandywine Museum is a neat place-works from the whole family there.
Chadds Ford, his home, is about 30 miles southwest of Philadelphia, and
about 15 from Wilmington, Delaware. Andy Wyeth used to judge art shows at
the elementary school in my district-I have a picture of him eating a piece
of fried chicken at a school fair.
 Fields, Linda <fieldsl@guilford.k12.nc.us>

---