Re: 2002 Calendar

---------

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 20:18:49 PST

on 11/28/01 7:30 PM, BluesTruth@aol.com at BluesTruth@aol.com wrote:

Have any of you ever made a calendar with your students? I'm thinking of
having my art students put together a calendar and selling it for fund
raising purposes. Any tips?
Jill (BT) ---

Jill - We have done one with our HS Art Club since '91. It works great, but
with all the free calendars people get, you've gotta get out and sell 'em
before Thanksgiving. We collect B&W artwork during the year (pen & ink or
scratchboard cut costs for halftones) and assign one advanced art section a
"Reproducible Drawing assignment each year. The district print shop prints
& binds them for us (at a cost), and we include calendar events like sch.
bd. meetings, vacations, etc.

We looked into color, but it is really expensive if you are trying to cover
it with under 1000 calendars, so we've stuck w/ B&W. We sell around 400 -
500 per year at $5. After paying for printing & binding we make $1500 -
$2000 / year. The kids love to be published & really knock themselves out
to make quality drawings because we give "letter points" for being in the
calendar - 3 points gets you an art letter, which they love!

Hope this is helpful - Dennis in Wyo.

---