Kinkade-mass producing artist/millionaire

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 03:37:55 PST

I'm curious...

If someone approached you and offered you a similar deal to do that with
your work...how many of you would take them up on it and how many of you
would really turn down that opportunity for that much money??????

I don't care for his art work or his methods either...but he has certainly
created a name for himself and has made a "pile of money".

Carolyn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Judy Nagel wrote:
 (CBS) He has more than 350 galleries with his name on them. Fans flock to
 his hometown to see the environment that produced such talent. He is the
 world's most collected living artist.

 Such acclaim gives Thomas Kinkade not only bragging rights but also the
 right to dismiss Pablo Picasso.

 "I don't believe, in time, that [Picasso] will be regarded as the titan
that
 he is now," Kinkade tellsCBS News Correpsondent Morley Safer in a 60
Minutes
 interview to be broadcast Sunday. "He is a man of great talent who, to me,
 used it to create three Picassos before breakfast because he could get
 $10,000 for them."

 Both men laugh when Safer replies to Kinkade, who uses television and the
 Internet to sell his art, "You may not create three Kinkades before
 breakfast, but you may sell 30,000 before lunch."

 Safer's response may not be too far off the mark for America's most popular
 artist, whose business has grown from reproductions on canvas of his
 original oil paintings to a whole line of merchandise. Kinkade's company
 says $600 million worth of retail products bearing his images were sold
last
 year, including everything from high-end canvas reproductions to table-top
 collectibles to calendars

---