CBS site re Kinkade

---------

From: Judy Nagel (jdnag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 22:24:13 PST

FYI For those of you who did not see the show, here is some info from the
CBS site. I tried to find the e mail address but all they gave was mailing
and phone. Judy

(CBS) He has more than 350 galleries with his name on them. Fans flock to
his hometown to see the environment that produced such talent. He is the
world's most collected living artist.

Such acclaim gives Thomas Kinkade not only bragging rights but also the
right to dismiss Pablo Picasso.

"I don't believe, in time, that [Picasso] will be regarded as the titan that
he is now," Kinkade tellsCBS News Correpsondent Morley Safer in a 60 Minutes
interview to be broadcast Sunday. "He is a man of great talent who, to me,
used it to create three Picassos before breakfast because he could get
$10,000 for them."

Both men laugh when Safer replies to Kinkade, who uses television and the
Internet to sell his art, "You may not create three Kinkades before
breakfast, but you may sell 30,000 before lunch."

Safer's response may not be too far off the mark for America's most popular
artist, whose business has grown from reproductions on canvas of his
original oil paintings to a whole line of merchandise. Kinkade's company
says $600 million worth of retail products bearing his images were sold last
year, including everything from high-end canvas reproductions to table-top
collectibles to calendars

jnagel@saxarts.com

---