Re: Kiln Shopping...advice?

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 17:26:11 PST

In a message dated 11/27/2001 6:51:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ARopple@aol.com writes:

> If you could get a new electric kiln, which model would you get and why?
> Have any of you purchased kilns in the past few years ? I'd love
> recommendations based on your experiences.

I've had 3 different kinds of kilns over the past 7 years., simply because
I've changed school districts once during that time. Here's my opinion: I
had a Skutt 1227- 3 ring- very deep ( for me-I'm petite). Advantages: A lot
a space for the money. Boy, did I get a lot into that thing! Drawbacks: It
threw an amazing amount of heat! Not as well insulated as my Amaco (the top
of the line- not the Excel Series) kiln. If you have it in your room you
need to take this into consideration. Also, I don't like the lid on the
Skutt kilns. I had an Amaco 9something. Wasn't as big as my Skutt, but
threw almost no heat. Very well insulated and the lid was terrific. I
recommend you go with a downdraft vent on whichever kiln you buy. This Sept.
I got a Paragon Dragon. It's made by a company in Texas that makes furnaces,
etc. Very, very large FRONT LOADING....It's all digital computerized. It
was very well priced for a front loading kiln and the insulation looks
incredible. The district had to run new wiring and I just got it hooked up
this week! I hope I am pleased. The company said I'm the third school in
New York to order one, as this model was designed and built only last March.
Have to figure out how to program it...Anyone familiar with this model?
Susan on Long Island

---