Brenda's Fall Portraits -- here is lesson plan

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:03:13 PST

I noticed several have asked for Brenda's lesson plan for the cut paper
portraits.

Brenda posted the plan the other day -- here is what she had to say:

Cut paper portraits
"brenda robson" <robsonbrenda@hotmail.com>

http://www.namtab.com/index.htm
http://www.namtab.com/cutpaper/cut.htm

From Woody: My plan is to shoot digital photos of each seventh grader.
To edit them with Photoshop Elements to increase the contrast
and then use the "cut paper" filter to create a model for
students to get the idea from.

From Brenda: And I meant to say "5 values" is our limit.
And overhead paper instead of acetate

Just like Woody surmised, I shot pics, put them into photoshop, used cut
paper and strong value adjustments then printed.

We watched a Daniel Greene portrait painting video that talks about
values.
The kids then did monochromatic freehand value studies in pastel to
isolate the values and understand them.
I had a private portrait teacher tell me "if the value is right, it
doesn't matter what color it is". (kinda like the post-impressionists or
expressionists) I never learned that while pursuing Graphic Arts, so it
stuck with me.

We then cheated and put clear acetate over the photocopy and hand cut each
value from the color of their choosing with x-acto knives.
It is tricky in the respect of what color goes on first. We started with
black then glued it down. The next uncut photocopy is your guide. Then
we went to the next value. It could go directly on the front but sometimes
it is easier on the back, depending on each portrait. I tried to hone in
on no more than values (some screamed anyway about this assignment) as you
can see I had 8th graders and 11th graders together. They said "I can't
believe this is our FIRST assignment" Well it really wasn't, I'd done
oil portraiture with some of them 2 years prior and we did do a lot of
value sketching from life with one bright light source.

As to the cheating, I feel like so many kids need to see what they can do.
If it teaches them some principal, like value, that they can take with
them as they learn painting, drawing from life, etc., then all the better.
Once they have something stunning to hang on their walls, and who do they
love at this age more than themselves?, then they can build confidence and
interest in art from there.

---