Tracing and the Masters

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 16:53:04 PST

In the December Discover magazine their is a review of a new book by David
Hockney called "Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the
Old Masters"

Did anybody else see this? Basically it talks about how Jan Vermeer used a
camera obscura to draw his images and Ingres used a camera lucida. Also, it
speculates that concave mirrors were being used as far back as the 15th
century by artists like Jan Van Eyck and Lorenzo Lotto to capture details
for portraiture and difficult patterns and designs in cloth.

The article focused on Lorenzo Lottos "Husband and Wife".... specifically
the patterned table cloth, pointing out the different vanishing points in
the cloth and speculating that this happened as the artist had to reposition
his mirror to get different parts of the cloth in focus and it threw of his
perspective.

Really interesting, makes me want to purchase this book.

Donald Peters
Lubbock, Texas