Re: clay animation + cool new link

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:01:46 PST

A long time ago I had some really great animation links... unfortunately my
e-mail server likes to dump all my saved messages if I go for more than 4
days without checking my e-mail.... so they are long gone.

I agree that animating clay flat is MUCH easier than trying to do it
standing. (standing is almost impossible unless you have a reinforcement
structure on the inside of the clay--all the professional work you see has
metal "skeletons" inside the clay)

Remember that you can knead the clay together to mix new colors, or-even
better-melt the clay together to make new colors.

There are some great documentaries on the Aardman animation style (I have
one on the making of "the Wrong Trousers" and one on the making of "Chicken
Run" that show the actual work that went into these films) The Chicken Run
documentary has a great fact: the team of animators working on it were only
able to film six seconds per day. Look at how long this film is and then
figure out how long it took them just to film it. That time doesnt count
building sets or building characters. It also shows this great little box
they had with all the different mouth positions in it. So, if the character
was sounding a "t" they'd pull the "t" mouth out, an "f", pull the "f" mouth
out, etc. Really cool.

Now the REALLY interesting thing, while trying to find some of my old links
to put in this post, I instead found a VERY interesting new one. Can you say
Curriculum Guide to Animation from Warner Brothers Studios?? Well, here it
is: http://www.nelc.org/resources/guide67.cfm
Note: You'll need word to see this file.

Let us know how it goes...

Donald Peters

P.S.: Did you know there is a website with curriculum resources and examples
to go with the kit you bought??