Re: Firing clay in skutt kiln

---------

From: Judie Jacobs (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 02:14:58 PST

Generally, explosions occur due to wetness in the clay. Before I turn
up kiln to final high setting, I hold a mirror or metal template next to
the top peep hole (careful, it gets hot quickly) to see if there is any
moisture left in the pieces. If there is any "fog" on the mirror, I
continue firing on medium. I repeat this test until there is no
moisture at all on the mirror. Works every time for me. Good luck.

Judie J
On Sunday, November 25, 2001, at 06:30 PM, BNPurdy@aol.com wrote:

> Hi!  I need your help.  I haven't taught ceramics in ten years. This
> year I'm teaching a ceramics course which I'm thoroughly enjoying.  The
> problem is that projects are exploding in the kiln.  On Tuesday, I
> fired the kiln. I candled the projects for 24 hours in the kiln at a
> temperature hold of 180 degrees.  After 24 hours I set the kiln to fire
> on slow speed at cone 05.  On Saturday, when I opened the kiln I had
> several projects explode.  Can anyone help me?
>
> Barb in San Jose ---
> artsednet-5936L@lists.getty.edu

---