Re: rubric development

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 19:18:29 PST

Jayna:

The way I started using student-assisted rubrics was to begin slowly ...
one lesson at a time and one grade level at a time. Effective rubrics
are tied directly to learning objectives (not activities) and provide a
way to judge the depth of learning that occurs. After feeling confident
in my own ability to develop learning objectives that could be measured
by rubrics, then I asked for student input. Once this assessment
procedure is in place, you'll be surprised at how much easier grading
becomes because students are held accountable.

If you are looking for a format for a simple lesson summary and rubric,
here are six lessons that I developed for PBS.

http://www.matisse-picasso.com, click on educational resources then go
to lesson plans. The lesson summaries are in Abobe Acrobat. Although
these summaries are far from perfect, I find the one-page format very
helpful. Another thing I really like is the essential question(s).
That helps to keep the lesson focused.

Best to you,
Pam

 a standard