Re: Firing clay in skutt kiln

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 18:18:45 PST

The first two things I would look for were 1) were the pieces 100% dry and 2) were there any trapped air pockets? Almost always I can show the students that one of these things were the cause. I don't allow students to create pieces over 1/2" thick - and I tell them that it's not me that they have to fool - it's the kiln!
~Michal

  Hi! I need your help. I haven't taught ceramics in ten years. This year I'm teaching a ceramics course which I'm thoroughly enjoying. The problem is that projects are exploding in the kiln. On Tuesday, I fired the kiln. I candled the projects for 24 hours in the kiln at a temperature hold of 180 degrees. After 24 hours I set the kiln to fire on slow speed at cone 05. On Saturday, when I opened the kiln I had several projects explode. Can anyone help me?