Re: Rubric development

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 10:41:24 PST

A lot of what is said about student input on rubrics sounds great. But in my
real world of art class time, it would be nuts to try to squeeze in one more
thing! 6 week sections of art , 43 min classes, not counting losing time for
sports, assemblies, announcements and other stuff. Each year I try to find
ways to streamline things more. Even now I think I really work the kids hard
and squeeze in studio time , art history research, aesthetics, journaling or
art talks. Having in put is nice , but bottom line aren't we the ones who are
suppose to be trained to decide criteria for an assignment? Somehow I feel
some slamming coming on for that comment, but it gets frustrating trying to
find time to do more and more.
maryb

pgstephens wrote:

> My own graduate work was in the field of arts assessment. One thing
> that I noted is that students often feel that assessment is something
> that is done to them rather than something of which they are a
> contributing partner. Students who contribute to setting standards that
> measure their depth of learning are usually more successful in their
> learning.

---