Re: Rubric development (long)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 10:26:44 PST

Pam writes:One thing
> that I noted is that students often feel that assessment is something
> that is done to them rather than something of which they are a
> contributing partner. Students who contribute to setting standards that
> measure their depth of learning are usually more successful in their
> learning.

Done to them is the key.
I'm thinking of my own graduate work. I was always getting A-'s. Yet I
could never get an answer as to why the "-" Certainly some kind of
expectation was in order. The perception was that I always did something
that was subjectively evaluated by the professor, but I still don't know
what it was.

I use rubrics based on my 20-some years of experience in business and as a
free-lance artist. When I did any work it was a collaboration between artist
and client. First you met, whether it's boss or client, and come to some
kind of understanding of the needs and expectations. Then the artists
presents ideas. A selection is made with an intent to an end. If your
final presentation does not meet expectations, or god forbid you don't make
the deadline - then you loose the job.
The real world is tough-- school doesn't have to be so tough. But certainly
any problem I offer my students to solve should be accompanied by
expectations, as well as what I/we think are successful meetings of those
expectations.

Many of us have no choice about assessment. Many of us are in states with
standards that require some kind of assessment for proficiency. My district
is entering phase II of our Strategic Plan which will focus on assessment in
all areas. As coordinator, I will be writing into the curriculum,
portfolio, reflection writing, presentation and rubrics for a means to
assess. There is no way I will have art students taking some kind of
standardized multiple choice question and answer test to meet these
proficiencies. I always ask the question -- what is it that I want the
student to know when he/she leaves a certain grade level.

> Let's turn this around somewhat and ask how most of you teachers feel
> when you are observed/assessed/evaluated by an administrator? Wouldn't
> it feel more positive if you were a part of setting the standards by
> which you are scored?

This is a wonderful proposal. Perhaps we could avoid so many grievances and
interventions by union reps if we only knew the expectations.
On a similar note
I am always amazed by administrators and paid professionals that tell us how
to address(with multiple learning styles) our students, yet continue to do
their own presentations in the same old same old way
I have learning disabilities, too

Thank you Pam for addressing these issues.

If we are to be regarded as a viable subject we need to get off our high
horses and participate in the process of the current education jargon.
BUT
keep in mind
the rest of them have stolen from us...
thinking about workshops I've been to in the past where the idea of
portfolio was presented and thinking that's what we have always done
We, as creators, have such a wonderful opportunity to be progressive and
innovative.

And on that note I will save all my objections to Standards for another
time.
don't want to make any cookie-cutter kind of consumers out of any of my
kids.

Patty
who regrets she only has time to "talk " to this list when she has a holiday

---