Re: Rubric development

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 08:23:53 PST

My own graduate work was in the field of arts assessment. One thing
that I noted is that students often feel that assessment is something
that is done to them rather than something of which they are a
contributing partner. Students who contribute to setting standards that
measure their depth of learning are usually more successful in their
learning.

Let's turn this around somewhat and ask how most of you teachers feel
when you are observed/assessed/evaluated by an administrator? Wouldn't
it feel more positive if you were a part of setting the standards by
which you are scored?

This month in "School Arts" I have an article published about taking
advantage of standardized tests. After growing tired of hearing
complaints about teaching to tests, I decided to use the tests to my own
advantage to teach art. It worked! The kids reaped the benefits in
several ways, but most important to me is that they learned about art
and artists.

I know many of you do not agree with assessing art especially in the
lower grades, but I take a firm stance as pro assessment. Anything
worth teaching is worth assessing. Any content area that does not
assess is in effect saying, "we don't matter" and I think that we do
matter. I think the arts are the very center of the curriculum.

Best to all,
Pam

Patricia Knott wrote:

> from Jerry Krasnesky:
>
>have come to believe that rubrics work best when kids/learners
> have some
> ownership in creating them. Wondering if you guys could/would ever
> consider
> developing the rubric WITH the kids?

---