Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Fashion in the Middle East

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 07:58:30 PST

Robert (and others):

I too am interested in textile design -- symbolism -- and clothing of
cultures. Students need to understand why people dress different than we do
in our country and respect their right to dress differently. I still have
students who laugh of people who choose to dress in their more traditional
dress of their culture. I did a quick Web search and found the following
links about Middle Eastern clothing. I found the most results when I
searched for costume (I looked for clothing - dress - garments, also.You
might even try a search for textiles -- for specific symbolism). I have not
fully explored any of the links -- Maybe post back to the list the sites
you found most helpful to you?

Here is what I found so far:
Lots of resources listed in bibliography section:

References for textile arts:

Links page to site worth seeing: (bibliography)

Ethnic Costume (links):

Middle Eastern Links (go to costume list)

Look at Traditional Dress:

Hmmmm..... looks like your school systems may filter out some of these
URL's ""? "killingthebuddha"? I don't even use many
"angelfire" sites with my students (other teachers have had problems with
kiddies going where they were not supposed to be when using angelfire

Super Saturday,

Judy Decker