Fashion in the Middle East

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 07:58:30 PST

Robert (and others):

I too am interested in textile design -- symbolism -- and clothing of
cultures. Students need to understand why people dress different than we do
in our country and respect their right to dress differently. I still have
students who laugh of people who choose to dress in their more traditional
dress of their culture. I did a quick Web search and found the following
links about Middle Eastern clothing. I found the most results when I
searched for costume (I looked for clothing - dress - garments, also.You
might even try a search for textiles -- for specific symbolism). I have not
fully explored any of the links -- Maybe post back to the list the sites
you found most helpful to you?

Here is what I found so far:
http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/armbrusw/Fashion.htm
Lots of resources listed in bibliography section:
http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/armbrusw/Fashion.htm#Clothing

References for textile arts:
http://www.lib.umich.edu/area/Near.East/Textiles/RT36C.html

http://www.killingthebuddha.com/oral/unveiled.htm

Links page to site worth seeing:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/links-ME-costume.html
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/biblio-ME-costume.html (bibliography)

Ethnic Costume (links):
http://www.huscarl.com/costume/mideast.htm

Middle Eastern Links (go to costume list)
http://home.earthlink.net/~evacernik/links.htm

Look at Traditional Dress:
http://www.angelfire.com/va3/ultimate/links.html

Hmmmm..... looks like your school systems may filter out some of these
URL's "witch.drak.net"? "killingthebuddha"? I don't even use many
"angelfire" sites with my students (other teachers have had problems with
kiddies going where they were not supposed to be when using angelfire
sites).

Super Saturday,

Judy Decker

---