Re: Angela's Grading Rubric (now online)

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 07:21:08 PST

 Thanks Judy and Angela, I saved this to my ART file and will use it. I have a question though. I understnad the importance of rubrics, and was looking forward to finding a good one to use, but I am wondering now (since I have gone 2 years without one) if it would be redundent (sp??) and a waist of time. Tell me if I am wacked. My students get graded with a check (check+ if they go beyond the instructions in some way and check- for late/sloppy work) and depending on the number of assignments makes the base score. Checks are 5 points, + or - 1 if + or - was needed. That base score is translated to numerical grade (High School). Anyway, my question: if I am walking around the room talking with the students about all the things on the rubrics to improbe their work anyway, do I need to use a score sheet too? My comp ll and lll (same classes) know and understand that their skill level must be higher and each works hard (for the most part) to do that. I do have a mid-term and fin!
al exam that is scored for numeric grade. I also do critiques with every assignment. I am very buisy (love it!) keeping up with the showing of pictures around campus/town/contests that I am scared to use the rubrics as it may slow me down. Any thoughts? Thanks, and hope your turkey day was stuffing!! :) Cindi
  Judy Decker <Jdecker@woh.rr.com> wrote: Thanks Angela for sending me your files! One of my targets this year is to
improve assessments (using technology). I do like seeing how other art
teachers are solving this "problem". I know many could not open Angela's
files -- so I have placed them online.

I think at some point I will take a look at all of the good "stuff" I have
obtained from this list and revise my rubrics -- rubrics that I have
"polished up" and revised since joining this list in 1999.

To view Angela's rubrics - go to:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/RUBRIC3.htm

This file is linked from:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/yearplan.htm

Angela -- I hope you don't mind my doing this -- I thought I could save you
from getting "tons" of personal requests (been there myself ...smile).

Goodnight all --- it has been a long day -- had to put the turkey in at
6:00 am-- I bet some of you even got up earlier for those big Tom turkeys.

Judy Decker