Re: experimental art w/broken arm

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 06:35:59 PST

If I had a student with a broken arm who was convinced
she couldn't do the work, I would ask her to see this
misfortune as an opportunity to record her broken arm
as a moment in her life history. Think about how
different her art will look without the use of both
hands. Ask her to attempt the projects, and try to see
them as a different way of working. Maybe get the
entire class involved; have them tie the hand they
write with behind their backs and draw/paint with the
other. Maybe look at DeKooning, or Pollack (please
tell me I spelled that right-we don't want to go there
again) Anyway, just brainstorming "out loud" to all of
you- but I can almost say that I could see a broken
arm not as a handicap in the art room but as an
opportunity to experiment.

Jayna