Rubric development

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 02:55:51 PST

from Jerry Krasnesky:

I have been to a great workshop on authentic assessment given by Anne Davies
and have come to believe that rubrics work best when kids/learners have some
ownership in creating them. Wondering if you guys could/would ever consider
developing the rubric WITH the kids?

You are correct about the intention of rubrics-- the students should be part
of the process in developing criteria and qualifiers. The point of rubrics
is to give the student a clear idea of expectations. I have seen too many
rubrics with criteria qualified only by
exceptional/satisfactory/moderate/weak. What do those things mean?

It's a long process to get the students involved in the creation of the
rubric. But once they are used to it, they do maintain that ownership. And
somebody said previously, they are very honest about their assessments.
A workshop I went to many years ago, suggested that you first have the
students rate something they are very familiar with, such as going to a
party. What things would you expect a t a party and what would make those
those things good, bad or so-so.

I think rubrics have been great for art teachers. I teach high school. I
always have rubrics, a question sheet for self-reflection and a group crit.
The critique is most important for the students, together, to evaluate and
respond to successes and weaknesses.

Our teaching lives are so harried, we all look to easier ways. I must
admit, I am often guilty of lifting ideas for rubrics or resorting to rubric
generators on line. But then I think the purpose is not for my ease, but
for the student's success. I will try to be more diligent in having my
students take part in creating their own system.

Patty

P.S. This list is a professional exchange. No one should fear intolerance
or condescension when offering an opinion. If that perception exists, we
owe a big apology.

---