rubrics

---------

From: Jerry Krasnesky (ceskras_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 18:10:48 PST

After hearing exactly how limited the time is you all have to spend with
your classes this may be met with a big, loud scoff...just an idea - maybe
only good in theory...maybe not even that! :-)

I am a regular classroom teacher trying desperately to put forth a 'true'
art program...spending countless (but enriching) hours in my attempts to do
things 'right'! (Or 'righter'!) So, may be way off base as I don't have
much experience presenting art concepts, styles, etc.

I have been to a great workshop on authentic assessment given by Anne Davies
and have come to believe that rubrics work best when kids/learners have some
ownership in creating them. Wondering if you guys could/would ever consider
developing the rubric WITH the kids?

For instance, if you've looked at lots of sculpture or a particular artistic
style you could have the kids come up with ideas as to what they have seen
in those 'good' sculptures, etc. When working with them you'll also see how
much they actually noticed & appreciated & generalized from one piece to the
next. If they miss an important criteria then of course you need to bring
it up & say, "Well, what about..."

Do you see this as valuable or useable at all in art? I would like to have
the kids in my own room to give them some of the power/decision-making...I
think too that they'd be more apt to internalize the criteria if they had a
hand in developing it.

Just looking for an opinion...scared to get slaughtered! :-) D

---