RE: Broken arms

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 15:16:30 PST

Check with her parents first, but you might want to design activities
that will challenge her to use her fine motor skills with her broken
arm. When my Mom broke her arm a few years back the doctor was amazed at
the amount of dexterity she had maintained in her fingers. She had
continued to cross stitch during her recovery. Her rehab after the cast
was removed, was about 1/2 of what the doctor would have expected, and
she retained fill use of her hand. Because of the nature of the break,
they had expected her to lose a good deal of motion even after rehab.

I would send a note home, listing some of the upcoming lessons and
asking the parents to check with the doctor about what activities will
help with recovery and what might cause damage.

Kimberly Herbert