Re: 35 students!! in one class! yikes!

---------

From: Frances Marze (fmaiu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 11:49:24 PST

OK I may hold the record but back in the 60's I had a class of 9th graders
of 45 students! Our desks were nailed to rails and did not move and we had a
sink that looked out of an old rest room in an old gas station in some rural
area.

Now I am so blessed as 24 is my largest group. I almost hate to think of
retirement as conditions are so much better now. I also remember moving from
floor to floor nd out to portable classrooms without water when I taught
elementary art.

Since I taught English for a number of years, I hate to have writing
assignments as punishment, especially when it's difficult to teach students
to like to write.
I use humor a lot and try and have a rapport with my students and have them
help the class in some way (like extra cleanup!) I always think part of the
problem is that some students work so slowly and others work fast and the
difference in the timing results in problems so there always needs to be
adjustments.
Keep your sense of humor. Fran